- she murdered John Winchester’s friends (even called John to listen as she murdered his friend Caleb)
- she attacked John Winchester and held him hostage for the colt
- she worked with YED
- she took possession of Sam’s body looking for revenge and tried to have Dean kill his own brother
- she tried to have demon!bobby kill Dean
- she is the reason Ellen and Jo died
Don’t ask me to have sympathy for her. Because I wont.
Okay, I’m a little confused here. Because yes, she did all of these things (except for Ellen and Jo - that’s on Lucifer, not Meg; Meg was ordering the hellhounds, but Lucifer was ordering Meg and after Meg set the hellhounds on them at the start, she never ordered them again; so if we want to play semantics, then it was the hellhounds that killed them).
ANYWAY. It’s obvious that she is changing now and that the reason she did all of those things was for similar reasons to why Sam and Dean do what they do. I’m not saying you haveto have sympathy for her, but it’s not like she is the most evil demon we have ever seen. She had reasonsfor doing everything she did. Motivations. Which humanisedher. We didn’t get that much with Alistair or Lilith or even Ruby. Meg has been the most humanised of all the demons and it’s been done in a way far more subtle than any other. Because it’s clear sheisn’t human and that shewasn’talways on the same side as Sam and Dean. But her reasons for opposing them? Just as valid motivations as Sam and Dean’s and every other hunter’s on the planet.
I’m not saying you have to be sympathetic to Meg, but using these reasons as an excuse for that and trying to make her out to be this completely terrible and vindictive character because of these actions? That’s not right. Yeah, she’s vengeful. So are Sam and Dean. Yeah, she makes horrible choices for her life. So do Sam and Dean.She really isn’t that different from them, she’s just the bad guy because when she did all this crap she was on the other side of the battlefield.
And don’t even get me started on the fact that we can have sympathy for Lucifer, who was the orchestrator of pretty much all of these things in one way or another, but not for Meg.
Ooooh, let me jump into this FASCINATING debate!
The supposed ‘humanising’ of Meg going on in 7.21 was really the ONLY issue I had with the ep… because it confused me. I found myself starting to feel fond things towards her in a way I never never had, or looked to before.
For me, I think this comes from her treatment of Cas. Whatever her reasons, even if they turn out to be Ruby-like manipulation, she has BEEN GOOD to him. And I can’t help but love her a little bit for that.
But let me add some other things that matter to me when it comes to Meg -
She very very clearly ENJOYS inflicting pain. Yeah, she was working for Lucifer when she set those Hellhounds going, and YED before that. But she RELISHED every bit of following those orders. Back in S01/2 she was slitting throats with a laugh and a smile. And I see NO SIGN that she REGRETS that OR that those inclinations have changed.
We’ve got more of her motivation now, yes. And I love that. But to me while that makes her a more WELL-ROUNDED character… it doesn’t make her a character I feel I can sympathise with. A character I can like, as opposed to love to hate.
She’s more interesting now, more complex. But she’s not repentant. In fact, her ability to move from cause to cause (what she called ‘growing’) suggests to me she is more self-serving than anything. And that matters.
When Dean and Sam do the horrible things they do they REGRET it. They FEEL about it. So IT IS different. Dean has tortured much in the same way Meg must have if they were both under Alistair in Hell. But while Dean is mortified at his weakness (although, yes, not above using Alistair’s tricks when he has to), Meg is PROUD of her depravity. This is different.
And as a final addition to my two cents - don’t really sympathise with Lucifer either. Spoilt brat who didn’t care about anyone’s feelings or pain but his own. Ultimately self-servicing, despite the love he professed to have for his brothers and god… Which means he and Meg deserve each other I suppose :p
My conclusion? If Meg starts to regret her past, THEN we can talk about how she is being ‘humanised.’ Right now? She has the potential, but there’s still every chance everything she’s doing is demon manipulation. Remember, there was a point in S04 when Ruby seemed to be humanising and falling for Sam, and we all know how that turned out in the end.
- sumhuram likes this
- justyouraveragecaninelolipop reblogged this from weeping-angel-in-a-trenchcoat
- justyouraveragecaninelolipop likes this
- -purgatory likes this
- weeping-angel-in-a-trenchcoat reblogged this from heavenandhellcastiel
- rena-librarian reblogged this from castiel-angel-of-thursday
- rotenreich reblogged this from opispeight
- ectosleuth reblogged this from opispeight
- opispeight reblogged this from trenchcoatsexual
- welcometotheanderfeels likes this
- trenchcoatsexual reblogged this from freudianslut and added:
- thepispsilent reblogged this from bubblegumgays
- freudianslut reblogged this from rainyhart
- rainyhart reblogged this from heavenandhellcastiel
- rainyhart likes this
- bubblegumgays reblogged this from derpinindadeeeep
- derpinindadeeeep reblogged this from superwholockier
- parselmouthfrog reblogged this from superwholockier
- vixenloudixon likes this
- miathemartian reblogged this from superwholockier
- superwholockier likes this
- superwholockier reblogged this from sleepingintheraindrops
- sleepingintheraindrops reblogged this from cas-my-ass
- truthoverdiamonds reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- truthoverdiamonds likes this
- puroisenpanda likes this
- castiel-leviosa likes this
- ladyorapma reblogged this from onamelancholyhill
- freetobeyouandmeandmisha likes this
- freetobeyouandmeandmisha reblogged this from onamelancholyhill
- under-blue-sky likes this
- grnfallenangie likes this
- asylphofspace reblogged this from carryonmywaywardairbender
- carryonmywaywardairbender reblogged this from drleomccoy
- mesharry reblogged this from commanderlawson
- liquidhistory reblogged this from takonatural and added:
- theluckiestclover reblogged this from arllechino
- crowleysnonpatience likes this
- crowleysnonpatience reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- bigbangpunch likes this
- trautkeinenartigenkindern likes this
- find-your-angel reblogged this from destieliscanon
- takonatural reblogged this from catsoclever and added:
- oh-fudgy-mayhem likes this
- arllechino reblogged this from iprayedtoyoucas
- destielsbond reblogged this from kalella
- the-heart-of-delena likes this
- dramallama01 reblogged this from onamelancholyhill
- eiter likes this